Sunday, 25 April 2010

A Very Simple Pin Cushion

I had been feeling more confident with my sewing and decided that now would be a good time to start thanking a few of my friends for their support in making my blog a reality.
One of my friends requested  a pin cushion and this was the first time I had made one, so I had a go at designing one myself, without using any instructions or patterns.

Equipment Required:

  • Scrap Fabric
  • Stuffing
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Hand Needle
  • Sewing Machine using Universal Needle
Time Taken: 1 hour to make both pin cushions.
Techniques:  ladder stitch, straight stitch

Prepare the Fabric

Fold a piece of scrap fabric in half and draw around a square drinks coaster using it as a template for a pattern. Cut out the shape.

Put the patterned (right) sides of the fabric together and use a straight stitch, use the foot as a guide for the seam allowance.


Remember to leave a gap so you are able to turn it right way around and stuff the pin cushion later.


Cut all the corners to stop the fabric from bulking.


Turn the fabric patterned (right) side out and stuff the cushion until it is firm. To check that there is enough stuffing inside the pin cushion push a pin in and see if it pops out the other side, if this happens continue stuffing.


When the cushion is stuffed, use a hand sewing needle and do a ladder stitch to sew up the hole, this will hide the stitching on the patterned (right) side of the fabric. For a great tutorial on sewing a  ladder stitch see this entry by Hollyalittlestranger on YouTube.


While I was viewing her great video I came across her tutorial on making a funky pin cushion and decided to use this one for my friend's gift.

Here are the final photographs of the finished pin cushion.

They were both very simple to make and are great for a beginner project. Have you made one of these pin cushions? I would love to hear your views so please leave a comment below.

No comments: